Sunday 22 April 2007

Catamaran Club House, Kijkduin, Holland. # 1


oil on canvas, 35 x 65 cm ( 14 x 25.5 in.)
Painted on location,
Sun. 22 April 07, 8.45 am - 12. 45 pm

SOLD

Last week, Sunday morning, I painted a view of the dunes with the tops of these masts showing and the Dutch flag. Today I decided to tackle this somewhat complicated scene, with a whole row of stationed catamarans. I was making good progress with this painting, about 3/4 way through, somehow the canvas was tossed face down on the ground. Upon picking it up, I discovered that almost 1/3 of the surface was covered in sand! I painstakingnly, removed the sand as best I could, then carried on painting until it was completed.

By the end of the painting, I was just placing in people walking on the beach, when I realized, something was wrong with the composition. With almost everything happening on the left side of the painting, some drastic measure was needed to compensate. To my amazement, one of the catamarans that was at the beginning of the row, near the clubhouse, was transported to the waters edge, where it was stationed for about 15 minutes. Just what I needed to balance out this composition. It was a beautiful morning, still comfortably fresh, with nice cool breezes coming off the North Sea.

Enjoy the work. And don't be shy to share it with friends or family.

Ciao,

Alberto, il pittore
The Hague, The Netherlands.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Hi Alberto,
I am going to share your blog with my friend who has landed, this morning in Amsterdam from the Boston area.
She and 3 others are there to paint for a week and she is going to blog about it at kelleymacdonalddailypaint.blogspot .com
I have a link to her on my site also.
Nice paintings.