Tuesday 14 April 2009

Old City Hall, Markt, Delft


Oude Stadhuis, met markt, Delft
oil on canvas
13 x 18 cm
painted on location - Easter Monday 13 April 2009

SOLD

Sometimes when I'm making a painting it is like I'm fighting a losing battle. Believe me this painting defeated me! It may look like childs play, it may even look like I don't know how to paint, it certainly felt like I didn't know what the hell I was doing. It most likely had to do more with my state of mind,.... oh well, like always, in the end, I come out feeling somewhat better. As at least something gets created. Where in the beginning there was nothing but a blank image, on a quality piece of cotton, through my efforts, and the assistance of a creative force, which I allow to filter through my heart, a result occurs. After all is said and done, who the hell am I to judge? It is well known that most of the artist's of the past, thought much less of their paintings, than the average onlooker of these great art works, hanging now in prominant art collections.

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You speak for many of us in this post. All we can do is try and each painting is a lesson. We artists are overly critical of our work but someone else sees beauty there.
It's a complicated painting but it's not terrible. Bravo, for perserverence.

Celeste Bergin said...

funny...for all your complaints, this is one of my favorites.