Monday 20 April 2015

Path in the dunes, DH

Pad in de duinen, DH
oil on canvas - 20 x 50 cm
painted on location - Sat 18 April 2015
SOLD

It is late in the afternoon, I went down to the beach, looking for inspiration. Nothing going on there but a wind strong enough to blow all my gear to Rotterdam. The kite surfers were having a great time, but that was the extent of it. Discouraged, I turned around and headed back to my auto. Luckily I stopped for a drink of water at the fountain just 5 meters behind the location were this painting was made. I saw the light bouncing off the sea, and thought to myself, "wouldn't it be fine if I could somehow show that on a oil painting." Well that was enough to get me started. To show light one must surround the area in darkness, thus on that premise, this work started taking shape. I'm positive Monet would have done a much better rendition of this scene. But, for better or for worse, this was the result of my modest effort. I have done this scene before, over the years, and am glad to admit it never tires me, as this is such a beautiful location, especially now with the new growth. On the horizon to the left a hint of the Atlantic Hotel, Kijkduin.

No comments: