Wednesday 10 February 2010

Path to the North Sea, Westduinpark #3/2010


Pad naar Strand, Aanslag #10, Den Haag
oil on canvas
18 x 30 cm - (7 x 12 inches)
painted on location - Mon 8 Feb 2010  SOLD


On the way back to my camper, just after finishing the painting I made on the previous posting, I was struck by this scene on a path I've been arduously dragging my gear, back and forth to the North Sea, for years now. For some reason this scene finally inspired me. It allowed for me to be with my feelings of inertia, isolation and solitutde. Something that's been nagging away at me, like an undesired leech who's crept it's way inside my body, draining me of my vital blood. The dull overcast sky, hanging around, not doing much, combined with the gentle saturated earthly tones, also just hanging around, yet delicately coloring the sleepy flora, spoke to me. It described visually the somberness of my emotional state. To personnal to write about, and I'm sure it wouldn't interest you anyway. However, just like the flickers of the welcomed innocent white snow scattered about, adds beauty and wonder to this otherwise unlively composition. For me, the snow symbolizes hope, which, as long as one keeps moving, may be found just around the next bend.

1 comment:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I can't believe no one has commented on this strong painting yet! I love it's lonely feel, and very tonal quality. I'm sorry you felt this way, but unless you did you wouldn't be able to paint it so well. It's beautiful.