Saturday 6 December 2008

Path in the dunes, Westduinpark, # 16/08


View of Europort, Rotterdam from Beach Entrance/Aanslaag #10
oil on canvas
24 x 18 cm
painted on location, Friday 5 Dec 2008

SOLD

A winter view of the dunes. Here I am back at a favorite location. When one takes the time to look closely, it is amazing how much color is to be experienced, in this nature resort. Of course the effect of light plays the dominate role, without which, everything becomes dule and sombre. We are so fortunate to have this still naturel resort, right at our doorstep, us that live in The Hague. Thursday I went to the Pier in Scheveningen, looking for a spot to set up. I was so uninspired. I guess in the days of Isaac Israels it must have been a lovely blend of nature and buildings. I am referring to the Kurhaus and the pier. Nowadays, in my opinion, it looks like a confused mix of cement, asphalt and glass, doesn't make it unto my canvas, I'm sorry.

ps. please excuse the "blueish" tint of the sky and water, the real painting has much warmer values of grey.

No comments: