Saturday 29 November 2008

Winter Seascape # 13, View off South Beach, The Hague


Windy, cloudy conditions with Herring Fishing boat
oil on canvas
24 x 30 cm
painted on location, Wed. 26 Nov 2008

SOLD

Not many sailors heading out with their sporty vessels these days, but oh,oh,... don't the Dutch love their herring! The owner of that boat has no doubt the responsibility to provide for his family, so foul weather or not, herring is fished! Not too far off the coast, thus safe for his crew and close enough to allow me to capture characteristic details of such a boat. Without my windbreaker, (which is simply a 3 meter diameter parasol, tipped on its side), it would be impossible to set up my easel, on the now barren beach. As I said on my last posting, Dutch skies are always a challenge under these conditions. My secret, close observation and rapid execution. Thus working on location is essential.

Sorry folks, that is not a herring fishing boat, but a boat that fishes for shrimps and flat bottom fish, a crawler I believe.

No comments: