Wednesday 6 June 2007

View of the North Sea from on high, Westduinpark, Holland



oil on canvas
70 x 100 cm - ( 27.5 x 39.5 in.)
painted on location, wed 6 june 2007

SOLD



Here you have today's effort, and what an effort it was, let me tell you! Set up on a high point in the dunes near Kijkduin, with the wind coming off the sea, made for a precarious condition, even for a seasoned plein-air painter. What made it even more challenging was that I decided to paint on a rather large canvas. The surface of the canvas would not keep still even for a second and was constantly flapping about. Notwithstanding these uncomfortable conditions, I feel I put together a decent sequence of colours, mixing the paints with great care to try to render the exact colours of the scene in front of me. This painting will soon have to undergo some fine tuning in the studio, as I work strictly from memory; the horizon line, for example could be straightened out, plus one or two other minor details. Please let me know what you think.

1 comment:

René PleinAir said...

I find it a miracle that you can put such a nice painting on that size even without the wind!!

The little tweaks arent necessary but I can imagine it will be even better when you're done with it.

Take care.