Wednesday 28 March 2018

The Red Lighthouse series #4

De Roode Vuurtoren # 11
oil on canvas - 24 x 30 cm
painted on location - Friday 16 March 2018
SOLD

The mist so characteristic of the Sea. Envelops everything and ushers in feelings of calm also melancholy maybe. Gives a chance for us to take rest, decrease activity, stay indoors, as one can feel the moist about to drop from the sky, in the form of rain. As quickly as possible I got this painting made and yes, the fluid drops did show up. Had to use an umbrella to protect the painting, myself I was clothed properly, and stayed dry. BTW that is the Eendracht manoeuvring on the water.




De Roode Vuurtoren # 12
oil on canvas board - 13 x 18 cm
painted on location - Tues. 20 March 2018
SOLD

This little guy was made, as a study for the painting below (#13). Obviously the weather had changed when I worked on the larger piece.



De Roode Vuurtoren # 13
oil on canvas - 50 x 60 cm
painted on location - Wed. 21 March 2018
€ 575

The colour of the water is so surreal in this atmospheric condition,  almost hard to believe, unless you see it for yourself. Started with heavy clouds, by the time I finished the painting, it was a crystal clear blue sky. Not nearly as dramatic as the sky I opted for to represent in this work. A few months later, in the studio I added the people.




De Roode Vuurtoren # 14
oil on canvas - 30 x 40 cm
painted on location - Monday 26 March 2018
SOLD

Painted at the beginning of this week, here is thus far the latest work made in this series. Inspired by that fishing boat heading out, I painted in a fisherman's wife, (clothed in the traditional Schevenings'  attire), with child. I have seen this woman walking on that path 2 weeks ago, thus with that memory was this scene composed.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this is a beautiful painting.

I've been somewhat negligent with my blog but, I posted tonight and so I decided to visit some of the artists on my sidebar and you are right at the top!

Happy painting!