Monday 15 May 2017

The pink sky at dusk


De schemerige roze hemel
oil on canvas - 30 x 40 cm (12 x 16 inches)
painted on location - Thurs. 11 May 2017
SOLD

Finding myself in Wijk Aan Zee, NH, for the opening of the International Art Festival, Ezels en Kwasten, instead of listening to the opening speeches, after a lousy dinner, I decided to find a motif to paint, get the ball rolling, you know what I mean.  It was the evening of a rainy overcast day. Thus I didn't have much hope in finding a subject to paint. That is until the sky started to put on this spectacular display of light and color, as the dark clouds were overtaken by the intense light of the Sun, making its downward descent at dusk.  Whilst painting, those crepuscular rays suddenly appeared, causing the horizon to light up. What to do, leave them out or add them in?  Well the choice I made is obvious, and listening to the reactions of my posting on Facebook of this work, it was the right thing to do. The last accent, was the addition of the seagulls. shown as if they are dancing to the rhythms of the beat in our hearts.
 

2 comments:

René PleinAir said...

Best painting ever, ... at least for me this is my all time favorite of yours.

Splendid!

alberto valentini said...

Thanks Rene, hope to see you soon.