Wednesday 7 May 2008

View of Delft, with White flat boat


View of Delft from 'Delftse Schie'
oil on canvas
40 x 50 cm
painted on location, from Feb. 2008 - 7 May 2008

SOLD
Private Collection, Wassenaar, Holland

The inspiration to make this painting is because this is more or less the spot were Johannes Vermeer, ( 16th century) painted his famous, View of Delft, which can be seen in the Mauristhuis Collection, ( Hollands National Art Gallery). Also that lovely flat white boat, made this scene a must for me to paint. It took me longer than I expected to complete this piece. Went on location at least seven times, had to set up on a days with the same conditions, clear cloudless sky, and within the same time frame, 10.30am - 1.30pm. The details in this composition, were driving me crazy, it was quite a challenge to simplify them, like the reflections on the water.

1 comment:

alberto valentini said...

Here are some reactions I got to this painting from persons on my mailing list....

Bravo Alberto!!
I am truly impressed with your work. Keep it coming.
in Oneness, Nigel (Toronto, Can.)


this is really very, very beautiful. Thank you for sending all these nice e-mails
Fam van den Berg, Holland

Looks like a million dollars on the internet, its worth your spending hours on something occasionally.
Jane Walker, The Hague, Holland