Friday 8 June 2012

The 3 mast gaff schooner, 'Minerva'

't 3 mast gaffelschoener 'De Minerva', Scheveningen
oil on linnen, 30 x 60 cm
Tues 5 & Thurs 7 July 2012    
SOLD

Built in Germany in 1935, this 49 meter work of true craftsmanship is proudly on display at the Inner Harbour Scheveningen, here in The Lowlands.  I have been contemplating painting this lovely three mast schooner ever since my eyes first made contact with it some years ago. As tomorrow is Vlaggetjesdag (Flag Day) here in Scheveningen, a festival to celebrate the new season of the harring fish, I finally set up my gear, and made this painting.  I will be showing this and a fine selection of about 15 sea scapes at an art market on a stall approximately 20 meters from were I made this painting!  Come and say hello if you  happen to be in the area.

No comments: