Tuesday 27 July 2010

Sperlonga, Italy and view from


Straatje met ophangende was, Sperlonga, Italiaoil on gessoed wooden panel
13 x 18 cm ( postcard size)
painted on location - Thurs 15 July 2010

Private collection, Sora, Italy

During my stay in Italy, I was taken twice to this seaside resort village. Well known by your average Italian, but I bit there are not more than a 3 people from my mailing list that know of this medieval hilltop town, engulfed by pretty beachs! It's almost 40 degrees in the sun, too hot to even think, let alone consider doing any sort of physical labour. I make my way through the ancient narrow streets which seem to be carved right out of the mountain side in which the village is wrapped around. Find a spot still fresh as the Sun never shines directly on this stairway. I am inspired by the colors of the wash hanging between the houses, and the contrasr of light and dark, caused by the shadows. After completing the above painting I proceeded up the steps which can be seen to the left of the image, and was taken by surprise with this delightfull view, looking North along the seaside. Yes the charm of Sperlonga, is a must, to be experienced. Located on the beach are the remains of one of the many Summer Villa's of Roman Emperor Tiberius (AD 14-37).




Gezicht vanaf Sperlonga
oil on gessoed wooden panel
13 x 18 cm (postcard size)
painted on location - Thurs 15 July 2010

private collection

No comments: