Thursday 5 November 2009

Koornbrug en Vismarkt fountein, Leiden


Corn Bridge and fountain, Fish market, Leiden
oil on canvas board
18 x 24 cm
painted on location, in the rain - Tues 3 Nov 2009

SOLD

Well here you have a real wet painting from the lowlands! Obviously I'm back in Holland, have been since about one month. This is the 4th painting I've made since my return, and I'm also working on a large comission, near this location. I was restricted from working on the big painting, due to the rain of course, thus thought I'd knock off this little guy! Thanks to an overhang of a shop, I was able to keep myself and the painting dry. In the middle forground, you see a rather long stone table, next to a fountain that is protected by a iron gate. In the centuries past, this location was host to a live and bustling fish market, the fish were cleaned, with pumped in fresh water, and cut on this very piece of stone. Four pedestrians, a man riding a bike, a barge floating on the Rijn, (used in good weather as a cafe terrace), warm enchanting colors of the ever approaching winter add character and charm to this picturesque little scene, on a gloomy autumns day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Alberto,
that is a great fish market and a very expressive oil painting. Made me think to all those fishes that substain humans with their meet for so many years.... interesting what a stone table can say!!!