Tuesday 23 December 2014

I'm dreaming of A White Christmas


Kerstsfeer in Den Haag,
oil on canvas - 50 x 40 cm
painted on location -  Dec 2010, re worked in studio 22 Dec 2014
SOLD



It was on a postcard perfect winters afternoon, characterised by sounds of  children' s laughter and screams of joy. The crackling of  pure white snow, was to be heard,... yeah, as the young and old  alike moved slowly along, replacing the usual disturbing noise of automobile traffic.  Mothers pulling on sleighs, adults carefully manoeuvring their bicycles on this square, which has been dedicated to one of Hollands most beloved Queens.  Konigin Emma. That my dear readers was what inspired and moved me to find myself on location at the Regentesseplein in The Hague. I have since re-worked the scene on three occasions, finally choosing to remove  the tree featured to the left of the odalisque (as shown below) and replaced it with a not so dominate slanted street sign. It is amazing how this alone has opened up the view.  Also more figures have been added, and the details have been emphasised somewhat. I took the freedom of using my imagination to render this delightful moment in the tradition of  the much loved 19th century Dutch classical painter, Anton Pieck.

No comments: