Wednesday 6 April 2011

Market Square, Den Bosch


Markt, 's-Hertogenbosch #1
oil on canvas
40 x 50 cm
painted on location - Tuesday 5 April 2011
SOLD

Finding myself in Den Bosch on a paint outing with 5 other plein - air painters, organized by Rob Jacobs, of Gallery Jass , I made this and another smaller format work. Setting myself up directly in front of the entrance to the Bijenkorf, looking towards the towers of the monumental St. John's Cathedral. The composition was to my liking, however there was so much information before me, that I thought, the only way to handle this, is to loosen up, and work with a palet knife. That was the 1st phase of the painting, then I went back with brush work to highlight certain details. BTW, for your interest, that green house above the 1st parasol on the left, is the birthplace of one of Hollands greatest painters, Hieronymos Bosch.

No comments: