Wednesday 24 June 2009

Strandpaviljoen 'De Fuut', Zuidstrand, Den Haag


Beach pavilion 'The Grebe', South Beach, The Hague
oil on canvas, 60 x 80 cm
painted on location, Tuesday evening 23 June 2009 
SOLD

Fresh back from a week of intensive painting, with some of the finest plien-air painters in Europe, I decided to confront the high winds and bitter cold, coming off the North Sea (it's June, I can't believe it!), and knock off this beach scene after a 3 day abscence from my beloved "cavaletto",( Italian word for painters easel). This cafe is located next to the Catamaran Clubhouse, which I have often painted. Probably the most colorful of all the pavilions on this strip of beach. Why I haven't painted it up to now I have no clue. I really enjoyed getting all those details in, even though they are very loosely handeled. Hey, I'm a painter not an illustrator, thus moving a brush around, loaded with fresh oil paint, on a piece of canvas, is not only my craft, but becomes my way of communicating with you the viewer. I'm telling you a story of a nice situation, here, on this spot of the planet, and if I didn't do it, it would not have got done. And that my dear friends gives me a rewarding feeling.

No comments: